Melt-in-Your-Mouth Nut Strudel
8 oz cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup butter
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup sugar
1/3 cup milk
1/2 cup ground walnuts or pecans
1. In mixer bowl, beat cream cheese and butter with an electric mixer until well combined. Add flower and mix well. Shape into a ball. Cover and chill dough for 1 to 2 hours.
2. For filling, in a saucepan, cook sugar and milk over medium heat until the milk boils and sugar dissolves, stirring occasionally. Stir in ground nuts. Remove from heat; cool until spreadable. (Don't let it cool too long; it will be very hard to spread. About 5 minutes is fine.)
3. Meanwhile, on a lightly floured surface, roll out dough to form an 18 x 12 inch rectangle. Cut lengthwise into 2 strips. Spread each with nut filling. Starting from a long side, roll up each strip, jelly-roll style.
4. Cut rolls crosswise in half to fit on the baking sheets. Place, seam side down, on ungreased cookie sheets. Cut into generous 1/2 thick slices, without separating. Bake in preheated 350 degree oven for 15-20 minutes or until medium brown. Let cool slightly. Remove. Cool on wire racks.
5. Dust with powdered sugar. Separate the slices into individual cookies.
Cover and refrigerate or freeze.
Sunday, November 10, 2019